blackish skin, a single large seed, and soft light green pulp. It is also known as the "alligator pear." (dictionary.com)
Not too glamorous sounding, but I am sure you have heard that avocados are VERY good for you. Here are 7 reasons why we should all make avocados part of our daily food intake.
1. They have helpful dietary fat....monounsaturated fat like what is found in olive oil. One medium sized one has 20-25 grams of this "heart healthy" fat.
2. Avocados contain over 20 vitamins and minerals, including Vitamins B, C, E, and K, and also magnesium and lutein, important nutrients for the health of our bodies.
3. One avocado has around 700 mg of potassium. Potassium is used by the body in many different ways including building muscle, break down and use carbs in your body, and aids in keeping proper blood pressure. These are just a few.
4. Avocados are a great source of dietary fiber.
5. Avocados contain protein.
6. Avocados contain calcium. It's important to get calcium from our foods because if our body does not get enough from the foods we eat, it will take it from our bones.
7. Avocados are full of folate for heart health. One cup of avocado contains nearly 1/4 of your daily recommended amount of folate.